Thursday, August 18, 2005

Initial contact

Well, this is my first post to this blog. I don't really know where to start.

However, this blog is supposed to focus on my efforts in achieving a ultralight pilot license. I will probably provide more information about ultralight aviation, my background and why I have chosen to go for ultralight at a later point of time.

Unfortunately there are no flying clubs with UL sections in Linköping. This is a bit strange, as Linköping can be regarded as the aviation center of Sweden. My job is located next to the airport (well, actually my company owns the airport) where the flying club of Linköping is located. But as I've already mentioned, they don't do ultralight.

So my next option is Norrköping. Not a bad option, since Linghem (where I live) is located almost between Linköping and Norrköping. Today I talked with a colleague about my plans. He suggested that I should talk to an instructor at the flying club of Norrköping who he knew.

So later in the afternoon I telephoned this instructor and had a little chat (well, first I had a small chat with some nice old lady whose telephone number was published on the flying club's website by mistake). The outcome of this chat was basically that I first should check the possibilities with the aviation authorities and/or a aviation doctor.

This is not at all surprising. One of the reasons behind looking into ultralight is that I tried to achieve a regular private pilot license (PPL) some years ago, but was denied the necessary medical certificate due to my nearsightedness (my vision is perfect with corrective lenses, so you don't have to be afraid about half-blind pilots if I get my license). The visual requirements for ultralight aviation are however not the same as for PPL. But i do still need some kind of exemption.

I will call the aviation authorities (and maybe an aviation doctor at our company) first thing in the morning tomorrow. I'm a bit optimistic about getting this exemption since the regulations are the same as for glider pilots, and I do have a (now expired) glider pilots license. If everything seems alright and I am a bit lucky, I won't even need to redo the medical assessment...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home